Sunday 14 March 2021

Success is not a choice

 

As a student I always felt having multiple choice questions is better than fill in the blanks because you at least play odd man out with multiple choice and if lucky you might get a correct answer but filling a blank line is much harder as there are no options to trigger your memory. Now as a professional I don’t feel the same, it looks like having a blank line is much better as I would work towards filling that line and I know I will get it right because my focus, my time and effort is in getting that blank line filled in, but now with the choices we have around is actually making me feel puzzled and worried.

Choice has made us not freer but more paralyzed, not happier but more dissatisfied. --Barry Schwartz

I would like to start with job postings these days they do confuse me and sometimes scare me, the requirement is for everything but what is actually required to do the job. It's more like Jack of all trades but not Master of the job they should be doing, having a wider skill set is definitely a benefit, but that doesn’t make them the best suited for the role. It is a c
ompetitive market and you need to sell yourself and that too very fast, which means you need to tick all the boxes and this is where the question with choices come in where every choice is right and you have multiple answers for one question, choosing any one is not wrong neither right but doesn’t tick all the boxes and this applies to individuals and companies.

With ever changing technology, making the right choice is very crucial but the difficulty is in choosing when there are so many to choose from. To put it to context, we have DevOps - A number of tools that support this process to happen | Cloud - So many to choose from |Automation - A number of tools either with code or codeless | Languages – So many to master, this is not a comprehensive list but I chose not to list them all. All of these technologies are great but doesn't necessarily satisfy or give the required output. As an individual I made a choice to be in a profession which I am passionate about, as with changing times and technology I am adapting to the situations and making progress but whether I am making the right choices by adapting to the changes is something always remained a question mark. 


I think its key to understand that every choice has a limitation and it could have an impact in shorter or a longer term and you should be prepared to take that impact when it comes. When the technology changes you don’t have to immediately leap into it, it’s important to understand whether the change is required, does it fit into current circumstances, what challenges does it bring, are the benefits short term or long term, financial impact and mainly impact on yourselves as success doesn’t depend on making a choice, it depends on how rightly that choice is executed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment